Volvo 200 Crazy

The Volvo 200 series forum

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-11-05 21:06:01

Tank&Paul

Leak!

We all know these cars can leak. A new one to me today was to find the boot floor wet. As you look from the rear, right hand side boot floor was wet. That part you can easily lift out. Soaked!
It appears to be coming in via a seam just above the rear lights. It is running down through the D pillar (?) . I have played water onto to the area, starting low and working up.
I think it is entering either via the boot hinge, or some how passing by the boot lid seal, investigation on going, but Any thoughts appreciated.:)

Tank&Paul

2012-11-05 21:06:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-05 22:23:57

ADMIN
Administrator
Re: Leak!

If it is leaking from the D pillar is the water not running into the wheel well and then out the drain plug? Water in the under floor load area can often be coming in through the metal lip that aften rusts behind the bumper.

#3 2012-11-05 22:28:15

Tank&Paul

CS wrote:

If it is leaking from the D pillar is the water not running into the wheel well and then out the drain plug? Water in the under floor load area can often be coming in through the metal lip that aften rusts behind the bumper.

Yep, straight into the off-side wheel well and out the drain.

Tank&Paul

#4 2012-11-05 22:42:18

ADMIN
Administrator

Most likely the hindge gasget. I'd try bedding it down on some sealant.

#5 2012-11-06 09:54:53

Mike_Brace
Administrator

The rubber gasket under the hinge goes hard with age and particularly if it has been disturbed by undoing the hinge to repair wiring. I use roof and gutter sealant which is a non setting black mastic. This has the advantage of remaining flexible and also any residue is easily cleaned off with some WD40.

It is best do undo the hinge nuts from insdie with the tailgate closed otherwise the struts will push the one side up in the air giving problems getting it back together. If doing this with   the tailgate open use 2 props to support the tailgate and then remove the struts. The nuts are accessed by pulling back the headlining at the back.

If you do this job Paul how about a little "how to" on it for us?

Mike

#6 2012-11-06 10:13:49

Tank&Paul

Well, it has been disturbed in the past doing exactly as you say Mike........and yes the last time I did, stupidly fall foul to the dreaded strut pushing that side out. That is a mare of a battle to get back. Thinking about it the boot, has needed a bit of a 'slam' to shut.... more so than before so maybe it is not aligned correctly too?

I have got some spray sealant 'seals all' stuff and remains flexi'. I have ,as a temp' measure sprayed some on the underside of the hinge. Obviously the water will lay under the hinge now so will get on to that soonest.

Tank&Paul

#7 2013-04-16 07:59:26

Tank&Paul

@afor23sts. Your spam posts are not welcome and no one here is stupid enough to click on one of your links for fear of having their computers attacked by a virus. So go away!
You spoil the enjoyment of a good forum!
If you are not interested in the subject matter you are not welcome .

Tank&Paul

#8 2013-04-17 18:49:18

ADMIN
Administrator

And his account is deleted

Adverts

Board footer